Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content


history wallFrenchville School began as Frenchman’s Creek Provisional School on 22 November 1900. The original building consisted of one main room with front and back verandahs. Average enrolment for 1900 was 22 pupils. 

In 1909 the school was upgraded to State School status. On 7 January 1925 the Department changed the name of the school to Frenchville State School.

1977 saw 991 student enrolments with 32 permanent classrooms, three temporary classrooms under buildings plus office, library, health room, special needs room, music room, two activities areas and three storerooms.

The school continued to grow with the opening of the following buildings:

  • Preschool centre 1973
  • Original library 1974 (converted to classrooms 2010)
  • Dental clinic 1979
  • Administration block 1982
  • Music block 1991
  • Two additional classrooms 2002
  • Relocatable building 2003
  • All classrooms air-conditioned by 2004
  • School Activity Centre 2005
  • Prep classroom refurbishment 2005 in preparation for the establishment of the prep year
  • Senior amenities block 2006
  • The TWIST Centre (incorporating our library collection, computer lab, theatrette, and science lab) 2011
  • Additional prep modulars 2012 and 2013

Today classes are accommodated in eight permanent buildings and six relocatable buildings with a current enrolment of approximately 1000 students.

Frenchville is within the Central Queensland Region. 

 Time capsule

The Centenary Garden

The Centenary Garden located behind the H block covered area contains a time capsule and a plaque commemorating Frenchville’s Centenary celebrations, conducted in the year 2000. The time capsule is set to be opened on the 22 November 2025 on the occasion of the school’s 125th birthday.

rose garden 

The George James Memorial Garden

Mr James was the principal of Frenchville from 1911 to 1950. George had a love of gardening and established a good relationship with the local Botanical Gardens curator, who supplied plants and information to shade the Frenchville grounds.

Mr James established many garden beds full of annuals an roses, making the Frenchville grounds one of the most picturesque in the area. The George James Memorial Garden was opened in July 1955, and 110 rose bushes were planted to commemorate the memory of the late Mr James. The Garden has diminished in size over the years due to the school building expansion program but remains in pride of place outside the school administration block. Roses are often picked and showcased on the school office counter.

Sarah Burgess garden 

The Sarah Burgess Memorial Garden

Sarah Burgess was a Frenchville student who tragically lost her life in a swimming accident. Sarah’s memorial was originally located in the palm garden near the tuckshop laneway. In 2014 it was relocated to the front of the TWiST. 

ANZAC memorial garden 

The ANZAC Memorial Garden

Dedicated in 2007, the Frenchville ANZAC Memorial Garden was established by Senior Teacher Mr Anthony Spyve to remember the fallen. The garden, built by Anthony on weekends, forms the centre of our annual ANZAC commemorative ceremony. This memorial was carefully and thoughtfully planned to be a small token of recognition and appreciation of all those brave men and women who have served and are currently serving to protect our freedom.

The garden features many significant representations of that recognition. The selected plants represent our country and sacrifice. Sheenas, around the border of the garden are green and gold, which represent Australia. The bright red, flowering plants in the middle of the garden represent the blood spilled on the many battlefields around the world by our brave soldiers.

Twenty-eight stepping stones in two lines of fourteen, lead into the memorial, which represent our soldiers marching as one. Fourteen sets of stones reminds us of the year WW1 was declared, 1914; after Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the Austrian throne was assassinated on 28th June. Four pillars along the path represent strength. They also represent the three arms of the defence force, Army, Navy and Air Force. The fourth is a reminder of all of the conflicts Australian troops have been involved in from 1899 until today.

A commemorative plaque is located on a large granite rock. The granite depicts the harsh Turkish landscape at Anzac cove that overwhelmed our soldiers during the Anzac campaign. It reminds us of the great odds that were presented to the Australian and New Zealand troops and how they fought despite great hardships.

In honour of the massive loss of life at Lone Pine during the Anzac campaign, we have planted a pine tree to remind us all, that those that came before us, have given the ultimate sacrifice to ensure our freedoms today.

The statement of remembrance, Lest We Forget, is seen engraved into hardwood beyond the focal point of the memorial.

 Artist in residence paintings

The School Activity Centre paintings

In 2006, following construction of the School Activity Centre, Frenchville was successful in receiving an 'Art Built-In' State Government Grant. With the proceeds of the grant, we engaged a young indigenous artist Kate Oates, who worked alongside selected year six students to paint a collection of paintings depicting the values of Frenchville State School. Students chose key themes and painted the six large works of art which now hang in the School Activity Centre. Alongside these paintings is a special work of art commissioned by the school entitled "Together We Shape Tomorrow".


Together we shape tomorrow painting